Saturday, October 29, 2011

Krista Davis Saw God At Work Through Homeless Dottie


Today I was feeling sorry for myself.  I had a family issue going on which seemed like an 8!  

Then I got a call from our crisis line volunteer (Karen Sylvester).  She is a dandy!      

Apparently Dottie was worried about her nephew James who is staying with Ms. Alison.  She had been unable to reach Ms. Alison (whose phone is not working).

I thanked Karen and then tried the Safe Family number.  Since I had the luxury of multiple numbers to try, I reached Mr. Steve who graciously told me that all was going well.  He confided that this placement was somewhat different than their others, in that the aunt was super worried about her child, and called frequently in concern for him. So sweet.  

Then I called Dottie just to follow up. It was the best part of my week.

This is where I saw God, and felt Him holding me up. . . moving me into the place of righteousness that I had been missing all day. . . .in my own selfish and personal 8!

Dottie is 60 and has taken guardianship of her nephew who is 4.  When asked how she came to be his guardian, she simply said "he is family".  His parents were drug addicts, and he needed family to take care of him.  

When I asked how she got to safe families, she recalled the story of moving to Indiana where relatives are close by.  She has had a series of low paying jobs throughout her life but proudly tells me that she has a clean bill of health and "there is no reason why I can't be working, other than difficulty in finding a job "at my age".

Through a series of events that she described (staying at Wheeler Mission, looking for homeless shelters that could accept her and James together, living in her grandsons attic with a space heater, storing her furniture and belongings in his garage, and being thankful that she "happened upon" Safe Families) I was humbled.  About to go pick her up and move her into my daughter's bedroom, instead I gave her some numbers to call in the morning, and told her to please call me back to let me know how it went.

God has placed us here for a reason.

Turns out my issue is a 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment