Sunday, October 9, 2011

Little Gifts From God - One Hour In The Life Of Krista Davis


Last night I was at the CVS pharmacy downtown, getting my dad’s 17 new medicines filled.  I had his dog “Charlie” with me, who loves attention and is well known downtown.  I sat in the pharmacy area for about an hour, awaiting his new scripts and met many interesting people - Charlie attracts a lot of attention. 

I talked with a homeless young woman whose boyfriend is incarcerated.  She whispered into my ear that she was pregnant and due in December. She said she had little help, but another young man was “keeping her safe”.  By looking at him, you could tell that he had some obvious differences – his gait unsteady, his hair unkempt, large forehead, missing teeth.   The nurse in me had to advise her about prenatal vitamins, and we took a short tour through the vitamin section of the store.

I met another man who I believe was homeless since he was carrying his nebulizer with him.  He explained that he too, had just been released from the hospital and was feeling poorly with emphysema (COPD).  He didn’t have anyone to pick his medicine up for him. Interestingly, he asked me if I lived on the north side.  I thought I was fitting in, but apparently I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then a mother came in to get a prescription for her epilepsy.  She had her one year old daughter with her.  The child (Betty)  was clean, dressed very well and even had her hair done with matching bow.  She had just received 3 immunizations at Blackburn. She loved petting Charlie, and the mother seemed to be glad for a distraction for little Betty.  We talked about how the bus worked when you have a stroller and groceries to carry.  I remember thinking that this gal must have some help or a lot of stamina, cause she is making it very well.  She took her script and left.

My order was finally finished, and I was given the log to sign for the meds.  Anna’s mother’s signature was above mine.  She (Helen Smith) has used Safe Families multiple times.  With a wave of gratitude for the validation of our work, I thanked God for you four, and for his blessings.

Krista Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment